Let me share with you the beauty that was Babel. Remember, in Genesis, when the people of the Earth wanted to build a tower to the heavens to make a name for themselves, and God confused their language so they would inhabit the whole Earth instead of congregating in one place? If your first thought is, "Yes... what an inconvenience that has turned out to be...," then I think there is an element being lost.
Here is a modified illustration that I gave a close friend of mine a few months ago on the beauty of the various personalities. WARNING: You may walk away thinking that I am a hippie. That is neither here nor there.
Imagine all of time and space as a canvas for which the master artist seeks to paint. Now it is the people of the Earth that are the paints. As time goes on, more people are added to the piece while those of the past could be built upon. If all were the same(that is of the same personality, aspiration, social background, or language) and must be used to cover the canvas, we would have a whole canvas of one color. A rather bland creation.
However, each person is incredibly different, and this artist is not limited to the visible spectrum of color but can pull from the whole realm of light and color. With the oddities that each individual brings, we have a new shade or hue. Some colors leave a larger stroke, and some only a speck. Regardless, each is used to tell the story. In the end, the masterpiece will be complete. This masterpiece that is only compiled to show the glory of its' master.
All analogies break down, but I hope this speaks something to you. I give this illustration to tell about the seeming confusion of language barriers. This last week, I have heard prayers to the same Master in five different languages: English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Laotian. Only one of those could I understand in entirety. The others were just part of the beautiful painting that reflects the Master.
Here's some additional encouragement to your prayers! In the last week, two individuals were asked if they would like to call Jesus their Lord. Neither answered in the affirmative, but both responded with, "not yet." I pray that you look at those words as words of fascination. God is certainly working on these two men who we see regularly.
There is also the added conversation with a Japanese believer. I was allowed to encourage him to step out in faith to be willing to stand out as a Christian amidst a people who shun any who strive to be different from the crowd. Keep him in your prayers as he wrestles with such a great endeavor. He will be referred to as a letter for his sake: H.
I like the "not yet" answer. Making progress!
ReplyDelete